Loving the Koshary since August 2005

27 September 2005

Alexandria . . . Sleepily


The old coastal city of Alexandria was my home this weekend. I say home, because I did what most Alexandrians probably do on the weekend - sleep and eat. Yes, there are some amazing museums. Yes there is a fort. Yes, there is the rebirth of the ancient world-renowned Alexandria Library. But I spent most of my time flat on my back, dreaming about some guy with money in his shoes.



It may have something to do with me developing a sickness unto death. But I'd prefer to think its the atmosphere of Alex, the WASP of the Mediterranean - lazy, tidy, fun-loving and pretentious.

One of the first things Laura (my Alex traveling companion) noticed when we got to Alex was the big no-honking sign right outside the east train station. What suprised me is that it actually seemed to mean something: The corniche, 10 lanes of traffic that divide the city from the sea, is actually a pretty quiet place. Compared to Cairo, at least, where one cabby has all the tools he needs to wake the dead.



I got away with a lot on this trip. I ate more Egyptian food than usual, with breakfast at 11am and suppper at 11pm. Mooched off of the school trip (which I wasn't on) for free meals, one night's room and transportation to a mall.



Didn't do: Swimming. Most of Alex's tourist sites - Fort Qaitbey, Royal Jewellery Museum, Graeco-Roman Museum, catacombs. Fish shopping, coffee shop visiting.

Did do: Sleeping. Alexandria Library, Santa Lucia - saffron rice and sea bass, fuul, slept on a balcony overlooking the Med, bug bites - due partly to sleeping on a balcony overlooking the Med.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to go get healthy, you turkey! Ready, GO!!!

lub, wabs

4:37 AM, September 28, 2005

 
Blogger ritzy said...

You've been tagged!
http://missmabrouk.blogspot.com/2005/10/jeremy-goes-to-alexandria.html

/ ritzy

11:33 PM, October 04, 2005

 
Blogger Nightlegend said...

Next time when you are coming here notify me by email and I would recommend other places to visit or other things to do!

7:17 AM, October 06, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker