Loving the Koshary since August 2005

24 October 2005

Setting Priorities

I'm seriously considering not going to Arabic class anymore.

Reasons:
1. I'll get a failing grade anyway.
2. I'm falling further behind.
3. I don't have time to do anything else.

Things to check on:
1. Must my credits transfer as is?
2. Can I transfer them as pass/fail?
3. Do I need to transfer credits at all?
4. If I fail 6 credits, and get (realistically) "A"s in my other 6 credits, will I be allowed to continue at AUC next semester?
5. How drastically would it affect my (decent) GPA at SDSU?

What I could do if I didn't attend my intensive Arabic class:
1. Write for publications. This includes Egypt Today, Cairo Magazine, and possibly something with the AP bureau here.
2. Network. Currently I'm not meeting any Egyptians, or getting involved in the local political and journalistic scene. At this rate, I won't have any contacts here when I leave.
3. Explore Cairo and the country. I'm not seeing any parts of the city that don't have to do with school. No Cairo exploration and no Egypt travel means I have little incentive to go to other countries, since I haven't even explored this one.
4. Have more time to practice Egpytian Arabic, the language used on the street.

Impact of not taking Modern Standard Arabic for the rest of this semester:
1. I'll have only a slight working grasp of MSA vocab and grammer. However, even if I completed this semester satisfactorily, I'd still only have the ability to read short articles and maybe pick up the meaning of newscasts.
2. See above for impact on GPA, academic standings, etc.
3. I'd feel like a washout and a failure.
4. I'd feel like I had let down those who had hoped for me to do well here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You accomplished something important with your first step off the plane. Listen to the your inner voice, especially when it speaks of ambitions with good intentions. Network, hone that skill. There's time for the other skills, especially for the ones that take longer to acquire.


And if it helps, I received all F's while attending High School in France for the whole year ... and I shameful admit, that included English!!! (I’m just going to log in anonymously, now.)

You have a lot to be proud of already.

5:02 AM, October 25, 2005

 
Blogger CassiaJoy said...

I'm praying for you harder then ever now, Jer. Don't give up. Love always - Cass

5:39 AM, October 25, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, you probably didn't come here only to study so you will not feel to bad if you fail, by the time of your return, you'll have accomplished a lot of other stuff during your time in Egypt.

BUT if you want to write about the Middle East as I take it from the other post that you want to, getting the Arabic from the beginning is the most important thing. If that's the work you want to do, you'll suffer from not knowing your Arabic.

It's hard work but you can do it. All the rest, e.g. 'can practicse my spoken arabic on the street' is just excuses.

I say you spend to much time on the Internet. Go back studying!!

good luck

2:12 PM, November 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker